It is crucial to clean the gun after a regular period of time. The specks of dust and debris might accumulate otherwise and degrade the quality of the gun. There are different number and types of solvents available to meet the requirements. However, you might just run out of your solvents and do not wish to go out and get a new one. That’s when the best gun cleaning solvent comes into the picture. Preparing solvents at home can not only be cost-effective but also produces good results. So, now you can have your own weapon to cut down all the dirt and debris.
The list of materials required are as follows:
- A safe container: This could be anything which is non-reactive, for example, a glass jar, or a spaghetti jar or a mason jar, which wouldn’t react with the chemicals.
- Kerosene: the natural cleansing agent
- Automatic transmission fluid: dextran 2 or 3 would do fine
- Odourless mineral spirit
- Acetone: this could be considered as an additional ingredient which is necessary for fast-action. The carbon, lacquers, debris or plastics could be easily removed with its help.
Apart from this general-purpose solvent, there are other options as well.
- Ammonia solutions work wonders to remove the copper stains and cleanse it properly. It reacts with the copper salts and helps eliminate the metallic copper. Ideally, one may use a 10-20% solution for this purpose. Take a small amount of Murphy oil soap in the mix it with some ammonia solution. In another container, mix the cutting oil with the basic solvent. In this mixture add the oil-ammonia solution and shake well before use. A great copper cleaning solvent is ready to use.
- Using equal quantities of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, a great gun cleaning solvent can be prepared which cleans up the bores and remove the lead particles effectively.
Step By Step Guide
- Take all the ingredients mentioned above and be at a safe place. Make sure that the place is well-ventilated.
- Take equal volumes of each of the four liquids, namely, the kerosene, the transmission fluid, the spirit, and the acetone (optional) in the container.
- Mix it well and with the help of a marker or something, mention it as a solvent on the jar’s body.
In the process of preparing the home-made solvents for cleaning the gun, it is important to focus on certain points. It is advised to stay outside, away from potential fire-catching substances as you need to work with highly inflammable liquids. Also, there are chances of the liquids dripping off the jars while pouring them in the container. Hence, it is advised to work at an old table or simply on the floor or something which could be easily cleaned. Try to select the low-priced automatic transmission fluid as you are making home-made solutions to be cost-effective and worthy. A homemade solvent can work as great as any other artificial solvents.